Hello again! This is the first blog post that I’ve written in a few years and it’s good to be back! Following my move back to Europe I’ve dusted off my keyboard and fully intend to blog again regularly. I’m now based in Founex, Switzerland, located between Geneva and Lausanne, and serve all clients in the area of La Cote and beyond. Among other places this includes Founex, Commugny, Coppet, Celigny, Crans, Nyon, Prangins, Cheserex, Gingins, Trelex, Begnins, Gland, Rolle, Allaman, Aubonne, Chavannes-de-Bogis, Bogis-Bossey, Mies, Tannay, Grand Saconnex, Versoix, Chambesy, and over the France border into Divonne and the surrounding French towns.
Valentines Day is a day dedicated to celebrating love. How do you like to spend it? I have done many photo shoots for couples for lots of different reasons. Valentines Day, special birthdays, an anniversary, renewing vows or just because. Here are few of my favourite portraits of couples – I remember each session like they were yesterday!
My husband and I have had 28 opportunities to make February 14 a day to focus on celebrating us. I reflected on all the ways that we have celebrated Valentines Day and boy we’ve had some good ones. Although since having kids we seem to have ‘only’ given each other cards and gifts we have had a lot of fun celebrating the Day of Love in the past. Maybe you have already done most of these but read on to see how we have celebrated Valentines Day. Yes we have also done the last one… keep on scrolling until the end for the evidence!
8 ways to celebrate Valentines Day in 2020
- Breakfast in bed. It’s a treat at any time of the year but February 14th is the perfect day to cook your favourite brekkie, snuggle back in bed and enjoy some luxury time together. Heart-shaped pancakes are definitely on the menu!
- Give a surprise gift – the classic choice of flowers or chocolate. Whether given in person or delivered, who doesn’t love receiving these wonderful Valentines Day gifts? Other ideas are a piece of jewellery like a watch or necklace, or a book by your significant other’s favourite author.
- Dress up and go out for a romantic meal. Make a reservation at a fancy restaurant (way in advance!) and treat yourselves to a romantic meal. Recently we have gone for lunch together as it’s a lot less busy.
- Have a Valentines Day dinner at home. We’ve splashed out on some fancy foods and wine and made recipes that we wouldn’t normally make. We arranged for the kids to be somewhere else, put our favourite playlist on, lit some candles, and had a romantic night in.
- Spend quality time together. Visit somewhere romantic or do something fun. One Valentines Day we decided to take a drawing class and spent a few hours drawing each other. OK, so we did not recognise each other but it was a very entertaining way to spend time together. Another time we wrote each other a poem – mine took ages to get it to rhyme but I loved putting how I felt into words in a different way.
- Recreate your first date – ours was a very long time ago – 1992 in fact! We went boating down a river then spent the afternoon eating cake in a tea room. Easily recreated and a super-romantic way to remember those early times together!
- Leave love notes for him to find during the day. You can write different things, such as the reasons why you love him, or reminders of some beautiful memories together. Hide them in places where he is going to find them easily: toothbrush holder, jacket pocket, wallet etc.
- Have a romantic Valentines photoshoot together – yes, you knew I was building up to this one! Remember your love forever by doing a couples photo shoot and placing the portraits where you can see them every day. Let the pictures be a visible reminder of the love you have for each other. We did this in 2015 and it was so much fun: here’s our favourite photo from the session. I remember that day vividly – laughing and making happy memories together. Now we have a gorgeous portrait of ourselves that we love, and I hope it will be loved by our children and their children too.
Here’s a short video from one of my couple’s photo shoots. There was a lot of laughter, reminiscing about memories from the relationship and fun times trying to hold a pose together.
Here’s what the lovely client above said after she received her portraits:
Working with Amber was an absolute pleasure. The photo shoot was an amazing experience and exceeded our expectations. We had so many fabulous photos to select from it made it difficult to choose. After much thought, the photos we did decide upon perfectly captured our personalities and our relationship. We have proudly hung the photos in our home, and can honestly say I smile at them each time I stop to appreciate them. These are photos we will cherish forever. We can’t thank you enough. – Laura
Capture your relationship in pictures
There are many ways to celebrate Valentines Day but having a portrait taken outlasts them all. Let me help you get portraits of you and your love that make your heart sing. The pictures from your couple photo shoot will become treasured heirlooms that you can start to enjoy from today. Call me now to book your session and begin creating your timeless Valentines Day portraits.